Host an Open House for Your Legislators
Having your legislators visit and tour your birth center informs and educates them and allows you to showcase all that you do for the mothers and babies in your community.
Who to Invite
1. Representatives and Senators
- CALL your U.S. Senators and U.S. Representative at their local offices.
Find your Senators and their contact information.
Find your Representative and their contact information.
- Ask for the scheduling secretary.
- Invite your legislators to your center. Tell them that the press has been invited.
- If your legislator is unable to attend, invite his/her health aide.
2. BC Medical Director and Collaborating Physicians
3. Birth Center Families
4. The Press
Getting Press Coverage for Your Event
1. Send a press release
2. Contact your local media outlets.
- Use your contacts at the local papers, tv stations, etc.
- Send photos and press release afterwards if no press could make it.
Materials for the Open House
Prepare Folders to give to your legislators
1. Talk about your birth center.
- Discuss the impact your birth center has on improving the health of your community.
2. Explain why it is important that they fight for birth centers.
1. Send thank you notes to your attendees
2. Report on your Open House to AABC's Office
- Call or email the AABC National Office with information on the visit so that we can follow-up. Tel: 215-234-8068, email: email@example.com
3. Send photos, press release, etc. to AABC for inclusion on the website and/or newsletter.